Installing PrestaShop version 1.7
PrestaShop is very easy to install. Once all the files are on your web server, you should be able to start configuring your shop in no less than 5 minutes in most cases: the installation process is very simple, as the installer takes care of everything for you. Less experienced users might need between 10 and 20 minutes to complete the whole process.
Before you get started, make sure you have all the requirements available: server space at a hosting provider, domain name, FTP client, text editor.
Quick installation instructions
Here’s the quick set of instructions for those who are already comfortable with installing PHP/MySQL applications on a web server. If the lack of details bothers you, you will find detailed instructions in the next section of this chapter.
- Download and unzip the PrestaShop package if you haven’t already.
- Create a database for PrestaShop shop on your web server if it is possible. In case there is no MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying this database, create it as well.
- Upload the three PrestaShop files to the chosen location on your web server, including the .zip file (it will unzip itself afterwards).
- Run the PrestaShop installation script by accessing the public URL for the chosen location in a web browser. This should be the URL where you uploaded the PrestaShop files.
- Follow the instructions on each screen of the installer.
- Once the installation is done, delete the /install folder and write down the new of the /admin folder, which has been generated in order to be unique to you, for security reasons.
PrestaShop should now be installed and ready to be configured!